* He was searching for a new beginning. What he found was murder. *
In an attempt to rebuild his life from the wreckage of a failed marriage, Scott Stevenson moves to a small town miles away from the problems of his former life. There he buys a new home, makes a friend, and even catches the eye of a local girl.
But something is very wrong in this idyllic, Midwestern town. Mutilated bodies of young women are turning up, chilling displays of savage brutality the town has never before seen. The victims all bear a striking resemblance to the new lady in Scott’s life and, worse still, the law is more than suspicious of the “new guy in town”.
Scott soon finds himself in the way of a killer. Fearful for the safety of his girlfriend and himself, Scott must tap into his darker side, his evil side, in order to survive. There he’ll discover a path to a place more desolate than he could ever imagine.
The Desolate is a fast-paced, dark horror thriller filled with murder, suspense, mystery, and deception.
This book contains strong language and graphic scenes of violence. It is recommended only for mature audiences.
* * *
(Approx. 65,000 words/227 pages)
- Genre(s): Horror, Psychological Thrillers
- Tags(s): murder, intrigue, serial killer, paranoia, suspense, deception
Praise for The Desolate (from Amazon reviews and reader feedback):
- “Jarrett has constructed a literary Tasmanian devil here, with some very, very sharp teeth.”
- “Lots of twists and turns that kept me tapping for a new page…I highly recommend this book.”
- “His characters are, as always, exceptionally drawn, focused, and … released upon the reader.”
- “Just when you think you have this all figured out — BOOM — WRONG! That’s the best kind of book.”
- “Lots of twists and turns that kept me tapping for a new page.”
- “I really enjoyed this book. If you liked books like Desert Places, Locked Doors, etc… (Blake Crouch), this is similar in theme…”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The twists keep you reading. Every time I thought I had it figured out I didn’t.”
- “Loved this book! Great read! … Couldn’t put this one down.”
- “The twists and turns kept me totally involved.”
* Buy direct option includes a zip file containing both Kindle and Epub versions – can be sideloaded onto all popular eReaders. Click here for support.